Saturday, September 3, 2016

Interview Prodigal Son by Lisa Beth Darling




Prodigal Son-Sister Christian Finale
Blurb:
When the Hour is Darkest Love and Faith Can Conquer All.
In the final installment of the Sister Christian Series, the Court has demanded a hearing regarding Hannah's capacity. Hannah and Nick are falling deeper and deeper in love. Looking forward to a bright future together they begin planning their life together. A shadowy stranger from the past has set his sights on Hannah and her 3.5 million dollar trust fund. Is he really Rick MacNeill, the son Hannah thought died in the terrible fire at Saint Anne's? Is he someone sinister? The last of the family secrets come to light in this roller coaster ride of suspense, love, betrayal, and faith.
SHORT-EXCERPT:

Coming through the soup kitchen line on that fourth day, she smiled at him as she asked; "You're from Michigan?"
Knowing that his plan was working he did his best to keep his cool as he made full eye contact with her for the first time since he started coming here, "Pardon, ma'am?"
Hannah was thunderstruck by the sight of those piercing blue eyes. Her stomach turned and a knot twisted in her throat making her feel as though she were about to vomit. Catching her breath and trying hard not to stare at those eyes or the arch of his brow and the line of his nose, she cleared her throat as she fumbled for recovery, "I saw the plate on your car yesterday, I'm from Michigan too, Victorville, you probably never heard of it."
"Me too," he mumbled and held his burnt hands out for the steaming cup but she didn't release it to him right away.
Trying not to stare at him and appear rude, Hannah thought he man looked oddly familiar but she couldn't quite place him. He seemed far too young for her to have known when she lived there but it was the only logical explanation coming to her mind, "Did you go to Saint Mark's?" No, probably hadn't been in her class but maybe he was the younger brother or even the son of one of her old classmates.
"Me? No, ma'am, I went to school at Saint Mary's Orphanage, that's where I grew up. But I was born at Saint Anne's." He'd been anticipating a reaction but when her eyes welled with tears and the hot cup between them spilled its hot contents over her hands it was more than he'd hoped, "Ma'am? Are you ok? Here let me take that."
Letting go of the cup she picked up a nearby dishrag to wipe the hot broth from her hands, "Clumsy sometimes, I'm sorry, did you get…did you get burned?" Even as she handed over the dishrag for him to clean his hands, Hannah shook her head slightly admonishing herself. Of course he'd been burned, what a stupid thing to say.
Settling the cup of soup down on his tray he gave her a smile as he held up his hands for her to get a really good look, "They don't feel anything. I got burned a long time ago all the way to the bone."
A bolt of ice shot down Hannah's spine as she wavered on her feet with her knees suddenly threatening to give out from under her. "I'm-I'm sorry about that."
"Why? You didn't do it, did'ja?"
With her throat threatening to swell so much it cut off her air supply and her knees growing weaker, Hannah grabbed her side of the counter to keep steady as she choked out a question, "What's your name?"
"Richard, my friends call me Ricky." Without waiting for her to reply he slid the tray down the line where the nun was waiting to give him French fries and a chicken salad sandwich.  Taking his customary seat where he could see Hannah serving people from behind the line he watched her excuse herself and run off into the kitchen.  Trying not to be too obvious about it, he adjusted his seat and craned his neck until he saw her downing a few pills from the bottle in her pocket. She grabbed the side of the long metal preparing table, bent over it, and tried to catch her breath even as she shook her head, "Got'cha, hook, line and sinker."
INTERVIEW
Tell us a bit about yourselves.
I'm glad you said 'yourselves' because my stories are definitely a collaboration between The Muse and me. I don't always win in fact, he wins out far more often than I do. As for me; I'm rapidly approaching my 50th birthday, I've been married for 30 years to my wonderful husband and together we've raised two daughters. I love chocolate, can't live without it for too long, my cats (I have 3). I love to grow things in the nice weather although I no longer have an in-ground garden, I still do it in containers on my deck and converted a small row boat into an herb garden. I'm a big movie buff with a collection of more than 500 DVDs and Blu-ray discs. That doesn't count the hundreds of VHS tapes stored away that will never be watched again because I no longer own a VHS player but I just can't part with them. So it's a good thing I finally got a Netflix account now I don't have to buy as many discs but I still buy the ones I know I'll watch over and over again such as "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" series (all extended versions, of course), all of "The Avengers" associated movies; geez I love 'Captain America', and my latest favorite "Dead Pool".

What do you absolutely have to have nearby when writing?
Like me my desk is very eclectic I have scented candles, a Dancing Groot, a Peanut puppet that talks, a crystal ball, and all kinds of kitchy stuff. Those items are permanent. When writing I must have 1 hot drink and 1 cold drink (preferably potent), some burning incense, the iTunes blaring Classic Rock, and my cigs along with another…ah…all-natural smokeable substance.

 What's the weirdest thing you've googled?
Wow, tough one. Being an author I Google a lot of weird stuff and hope the NSA isn't checking out my browser history. LOL I've researched everything from poisons to derive/extract from plants along with how fast they work and their symptoms to rabies, medieval weaponry/torture devices, and an assortment of medical aliments with the drugs used to treat them.

 What is your guilty pleasure, I can’t miss it TV show?
Supernatural. Oh, I just love Sam and Dean. If I miss an episode I can be upset for days when its' gone on hiatus I watch the past seasons on Netflix.

 If you could go anywhere real or fictional where would it be?
A real place would be Greece I want to dance until dawn uninhibited—maybe naked-- on a white sandy beach with a big glass of Ouzo in my hand and visit all of the ancient ruins. For fictional place I really want to live in Hobbiton. I think it's just a wonderfully peaceful place and I would fit right in. Besides, I'm height-challenged so those Hobbit Holes are perfect for me.

 Are you a coffee or tea woman?
COFFEE!! I can't live without it! Honestly, I just do not function without several cups of good old Colombian coffee.

 Paperbacks, hardcovers, or ebooks?
If it's an author I just adore then I buy the hardcovers otherwise I'll go for the paperback. I haven't caught up with the times; I don't even own an e-reader.

 Do you currently have anything in the works?  If so can you give us any hints?
My latest release, "Prodigal Son" is the fourth and final installment in my Sister Christian series. It releases on August 30, 2016. Don't let the title of the series fool you, even though it is suitable for a Christian audience, it is definitely not a 'Christian' or 'religious' series. In fact, the title comes from the Night Range tune of the same name. It's about a long-lost brother and sister; Richard Mason and Hannah Rice. In this installment the last of the family secrets is revealed when a shadowy figure lurks around Hannah, pretending to be the son she lost in a fire shortly after his birth.
AUTHOR BIO:
Lisa Beth Darling is 49 years-old, lives in her hometown of New London, CT with her husband of 30 years, Roy and is mother to their two daughters.  She is the author of more than fifteen novels along with several short stories and non-fiction books. When she’s not writing she likes to garden and is an avid movie buff.
Author links:
Blog: http://lbdarling.wordpress.com
Twitter: @lb_darling
Facebook: http://facebook.com/lbdarling
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1577311.Lisa_Beth_Darling
Purchase Links:
Amazon/Kindle: http://amazon.com/author/lisadarling
Nook: http://barnesandnoble.com/c/lisa-beth-darling
iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/lisa-beth-darling/id411650358?mt=11
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/lisadarling


No comments:

Post a Comment